I have recently discovered how to make greek yogurt in the crock pot! You may remember from my post on Ways to Use Greek Yogurt that I always keep some in my kitchen. But I have just learned how to make it myself! It is so easy and unbelievably cheap! I particularly love this because I use so much greek yogurt, my kids love it, its a healthy breakfast or lunch, it has zero added sugar, its super high in protein, and this version is full fat yogurt which is hard to find!
All you need is 8 cups of whole milk, 1/2 cup of plain store-bought yogurt (with active live cultures) and a crock pot.
Pour the milk into the crockpot and heat on low for 2-3 hours.
Turn off the heat and let rest for 3 hours.
Whisk in 1/2 cup of plain store-bought yogurt.
With lid on, wrap the crockpot in a beach towel and let sit for 8-12 hours. I do this part overnight.
Ta-da!! You have a crockpot of delicious yogurt.
If you prefer a thicker, Greek consistency, you can strain the yogurt in a colander lined with cheese cloth or paper towels for 2 hours.
Top your tasty and healthy yogurt with fruit, granola, or mix with fruit puree. Or read here for more ideas of how to use it! Enjoy! BUT don’t enjoy it all – save 1/2 a cup to use as your starter next time!
- 8 Cups of Whole Milk Yogurt
- ½ cup of store bought plain yogurt
- Pour the milk into crockpot and heat on low for 2-3 hours
- Turn off crockpot and let rest for 3 hours with lid on
- Whisk in store-bought yogurt
- Wrap the covered crockpot with a beach towel and let rest overnight or 8-12 hours.
- Optional: Strain in a colander lined with cheesecloth or paper towels for 2 hours until thickened
- Make sure to save a ½ cup to use as your starter next time.