My husband brought a waffle recipe into our marriage.
He brought other great things and amazing qualities, blah, blah, blah.
But he brought this waffle recipe and y’all…
Saturday morning waffles, coffee, snuggles…(if we’re being honest, probably screaming children 😉
- 2½ cups flour (I use half whole wheat if I'm feeling healthy)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt - I never measure
- 1½ Tablespoons sugar - don't measure here either (relax people!)
- 2½ cups milk
- ¾ cups vegetable oil (I substitute reg or greek yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- Whisk is all together and throw in your waffle maker till golden brown (or less time for softer waffles)
- Consume in copious amounts with butter, syrup, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream or whatever suits your fancy.
One thing my mama always did was make her own syrup. I have adopted this practice and we love it. Not only are we saving money, but we’re not eating all the crazy stuff thats in syrup these days.
Take a look at the ingredients of Aunt Jemima syrup: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.
Ewww. Who wants to eat thick, gummy goop? I would rather know what I’m eating.
Even if it is sugar and vanilla.
Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil, add about 1/2 cup of white and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Bring back to a boil for a couple minutes. Throw in a splash of vanilla and take off the burner. YUM!
(Ginny likes to add in some Maple Flavoring instead of vanilla, I say stick with the real stuff 😉
What are your favorite Saturday morning traditions?