We have a confession. Neither Emily or I liked our mama’s lentil recipes growing up. (Sorry, Moms!) But, we both have been on the search for a good lentil recipe! Because, healthy.
I think the deterrent for me has always been preparing the lentils – because they are dried and required extra cooking. I know this isn’t a good reason to avoid lentils. But for me right now, time is money. Also, one time I undercooked them so I keep thinking about those crunchy lentils… So, for the last year I have had an unopened bag of dried lentils in my cabinet. Yep, just sitting there.
But, I recently discovered Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils – already steamed and lightly seasoned. For me, this is a game-changer. (They are in the refrigerator section, kinda near the hummus and prepared foods.) In the past two weeks I have now bought 4 packages of these lentils – because I can’t stop making and eating this salad! I can’t wait for you to try it out too.
This lentil salad is a simple cold salad that mimicks our family’s favorite Orzo Salad. But instead of Orzo pasta, I just use lentils! It is sooooo good! I know it’s not normal to eat lentils on a daily basis, but my husband and I just can’t stop eating this.
There are so many variations of this – I keep trying different groups of ingredients. Have fun trying it out!
- i package of steamed lentils (about 1 lb. cooked)
- 3-4 T. olive oil
- 4-5 T. red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon of salt and 1½ teaspoon of ground pepper
- 2 large tomatoes - diced (or a box of grape tomatoes)
- 1 English or Regular Cucumber - diced
- ¼ cup (or less) of Parsley - optional
- A few dashes of Oregano - optional
- 1 small red onion - diced - optional
- 4 ounces of crumbled Feta - optional
- Chopped fresh basil - optional
- Crumble the lentils into a bowl. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix. Include your favorite ingredients from the list above - enjoy mixing and matching!