This is a recipe from my Grandmother on my dad’s side – and we have baked these cupcakes dozens of times! They are the perfect mix of chocolate and gooey filling. And, they don’t need icing because they are so moist and delectable all by themselves. If you make them for a party, they will disappear so quickly – and are always a hit!
The best part about these cupcakes is the hidden sweet cream-cheese filling that only appears when you bite into them. Magically, the filling falls from the top of the cupcake when you bake them to make a gooey filling. Trick or treat?
We always called them “Black Bottom Cupcakes” but interestingly my husband grew up with the same cupcakes that his mother called “Secret Swirl Cupcakes”. Her recipe uses a cake mix – so I am including both versions here. Both are super simple and SO GOOD.
My husband’s birthday is on Halloween – and because these are his absolute favorite – I always think of them as the best Halloween treats. I found these cute cupcake holders at Target – and even bought orange and brown chocolate chips to make them ultra festive ;-).
Tip! Check out the Dollar Store for Cake Mixes. They often have the same brands and variations as the grocery stores – for only $1!
Enjoy – and make sure to try these out this Halloween!
- (From Scratch Method) -
- 1½ c. Flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ c. cocoa
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- (Cake Mix Method) -
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- All ingredients on package
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 6 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- (From Scratch Method) - Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add in all liquid ingredients. Fill cups ⅔ full.
- (Cake Mix Method) - Mix cake mix and fill cups ⅔ full.
- (For both methods) - Cream the cream cheese and sugar and beat in egg. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop one rounded tsp. of mixture into each cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes. No need to ice - moist and flavorful!